Thursday, May 15, 2008

“L.E.S. Artistes”



Continuing with the musical theme, but departing radically from my singular focus on hirsute beefcake, I wanted to share my aural lust for Santogold's eponymous debut.

Jesus, I don’t even know where to begin...

Suffice it to say that you will likely be hearing a lot about, and from, Santi White this summer as this Brooklyn-based, Philadelphia-born, huge-in-the-UK phenom just might be one of the most exciting things to happen to pop and/or alternative music in years. When I first heard “L.E.S. Artistes,” I thought that Missing Persons had regrouped to record their best single (ever), but I soon got myself up to speed by downloading the entire album.

“Eclectic” is an overused word and it doesn’t do justice to the aesthetic, and vocal, range of this new recording artist as there are hints and echos of Chrissie Hynde, M.I.A., General Public, The Slits, Siouxsie Sioux, J.J. Fad, and Depeche Mode (to name just a few) on this stunning new collection.

Press “Play” on the video for “L.E.S. Artistes” above and just try to sit still.

(Good luck with that, BTW.)